Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: https://forum.ipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

MacBook Air a1370 only runs on the charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so iv replaced the Dc in board and still no joy, still does exactly what it did before. Iv done a visual on the board and it does have a couple of bits of water damage, but only on some random test points, after scratching away the corrosion the lines going to and from them are still intact.

Comment

Anyone else got any ideas on this one ?, otherwise I think its going back as a no fix.

Comment

Does it detect the battery or just show an X?

Comment

It comes up as 'not charging' 0% replace now. They have already replaced it though twice.

Comment

Was the Mag-Safe control board replaced

Was the SMC Reset (system management Controller)??

Comment

You could be done to the logic board itself??

Comment

Yes the mag safe was replaced, the smc resets when the battery is removed.

Comment

an know good logic board if you could get one would really narrow the fault done. not much more to try i think

Comment

• crea2k
                    crea2k commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's definitely the logic board as the customer tried 2 different batteries, Iv tried two different chargers and dc in boards. We just don't know what on the motherboard is bad as other than the backlight circuit I know Jack when it comes to fixing macs.

What does the charging chip area look like? Was there water there? I haven’t fixed any air charging problems, but for MacBook Pro it is just a couple of pages of schematics. When I troubleshoot MacBook Pro charging, I check for output of the charging chip—smc_bc_acok and if that isn’t present troubleshoot why. The charging chip area has some battery current sensing resistors and I would expect that Louis has videos dedicated to this exact problem with a method to differentiate charging chip problems from battery data line problems from SMC failures.

Comment

Is the charging chip on the dc in board or is that seperate ?, iv changed the dc in board itself.

Comment

On the MacBook Pro, there is a tristar-like chip that senses the dc in charger, produces the 'ac ok' signal that allows the charger voltage to enter the device, communicates with the smc to initiate charging, and then generate the main power voltage to turn the whole machine on, monitor the dc and battery voltages and actually do the action of charging. This system is on a couple of pages of schematics and is the most common failure point for macbooks for both water damage and electrical damage. Louis probably has 20-30 videos on a wide variety of faults within this system--which are largely "the charging chip is bad" "dudes or traces surrounding the charging chip are bad" or "the SMC itself is bad" He walks through this circuit in any video with the work 'charging' or 'sys onewire' and that is a great resource if you haven't worked on macbooks but have a good general understanding of schematics. I believe the MacBook Air will be different from the standard macBook Pro charging system, but likely very similar.

The DC in board you changed is just that---a plug to convey DC input to the board.

Comment

Ah cool ok thanks, il see if I can find out which ic this is. Reading the schematics is simple enough it's that stupid board view software that drives me round the bend. Why the layout can't just be on the same PDF I don't know.

Comment

Well I changed the ISL6259, but still the same problem, im trying to find some kind of schematic for it, but with macs it seems to be about 1000X harder to actually identify what you actually have in front of you as they call them all the same thing.

Comment

Comment

Right using google images im guessing its a
                              MacBook Air 11" (Mid 2011) 820-3024

Comment

Working...
                              X