Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: https://forum.ipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

iPad Mini 1 PPVBUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPad Mini 1 PPVBUS

Could any one explain the function of the PPVBUS_CONN (PPVBUS REVERSE VOLTAGE PROTECTION) from the J5700 connector in the iPad mini 1

There are 7 lines on the bus but they are all connected together (see ZXW images attached) ?? So really only one line on the bus???

I getting a reading of oL on these lines Is this a normal reading??

Let's see if you can explain it. This is iPad mini charge port connector. What kinds of lines do you think might be passing through here? I'll take a guess---"I bet there would be a data line for transferring data to/from the computer and the mini" Now you take a guess---what might be the purpose of a gigantic line that is coming from the charge port into the device?

Comment

power lines

You not be guessing You know

Last edited by eDigitCom; 01-23-2018, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Jessa what kind of diode reading would you expect from these lines please

Comment

• Jessa_the_Professa
          Jessa_the_Professa commented
          Editing a comment
          Honestly, *everything* I know started out as a guess---just like science, these are all hypotheses and I change them as I go and new information presents itself. A big fat line coming from a charge port---that's 5v usb charger power until proven otherwise. I don't know the diode mode reading off the top of my head, and I've never measured that one. I would not expect 0 and I would not expect OL. If you're getting either of those---hunt down the problem!

It is OL and I must hunt it down Thank you. Will let it know how I get on but have an idea what may be causing it.

When I think of a Bus I was think of Data bus lines and Address Bus lines. These would have up to 16 lines or maybe more so was wondering why it was called a bus line when there was only 1 line ??

I would appreciate if you would look at this video where the charging port dock connector cable is been soldered to the logic board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZgIkXEvq4g&t=5s

Question

Do you see a problem (s) how this is carried out in this video In other words the soldering techniques and if an issue (s) what are they??

Question 2

How difficult to you rate this job for a beginner??

Thanks
        Last edited by eDigitCom; 01-24-2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

uh, whoa. I would rate that charge port soldering job 1 out of 10.

The goal is to have puffy pillow of solder on the pads, flux on the pillows, then align the port on one end. Use a small iron to tack down the port by drawing solder UP through the hole in the port pad from the pads below. Tack one side down, then move to the opposite end and align, tack down. Then touch every pad on the port to draw up the solder from below. This does mean that you will have to use solder on the iron to help make linkage and melt the solder below, but what you do NOT want to do is simply 'paint' the top charge port pads with solder. Your goal is to make electrical connection to the pads below.

So yes, if you have OL on usb vbus with a port done like this---it's the port for sure.

Comment

I was nearly sure that would be your reply

When you say a small iron would a FM-2027 be OK or would a FM-2032 be more suitable for this type of job??

I have both but have only 2 tips for the FM-2027 and none at present for the FM-2032

The tips I have for the FM-2027 are the

T15-JS02 and the T15_JL02

Comment

The fm 2032 is too small for almost everything, we use it for trace repair exclusively. The 2027 will work, any tip

Comment

Thanks very much for the feedback. I have a donor board so going to try on this first

Where would a FM-2032 be used

I have the the FM2023-05 SMD Mini Tweezer but I not think this would be used for this job??

Comment

I use fm 2023 for most jobs with T9-I tips

Comment

The tips T9-1 came with the fm 2023 I got

Comment

Removed the charging port and still an OL on usb vbus Pads all good

Will check the connections going to the vbus on the logic board

Comment

Wait, why are we measuring usb vbus with no connector on it at the charge port pads? What is it that you are trying to solve here?
                        If you are troubleshooting charging, then put on a new charge port and see if it charges. If you are concerned about the 5v usb vbus, then you can do a voltage test to see if 5v is delivered from the charger to tristar. There really aren't that many ways that it can fail.

Comment

My thinking Jessa behind measuring the vbus at the charging connector without the charging port itself connected is for example if you had a no image issue you would measure the display connector without the screen itself connected If you found an OL on a pin of the display connector then you be looking for a fault on the logic board

When I tested the vbus pins on its logic board connector in Diode Mode I got OL on all the pins it was connected too . All the other pins give a good Diode Mode reading

So to me an OL on the vbus pins would relate to open circuit to a component (s) on the logic board itself

Comment

Let’s start at the beginning. What is wrong with this mini?

Comment

Working...
                            X