Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: https://forum.ipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

Help needed from a veteran microsolderer - iPod 4 No Speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed from a veteran microsolderer - iPod 4 No Speaker

Hi guys,
    I've replaced the charging port of an iPod 4 for the first time.

With all the underfilled components next to the pins. I thought I would use some low melt solder for the pins, but I was all out, so I just mixed the alloy with our regular leaded solder. I tape multiple layers of kapton tape over the components (I know, I know, kapton tape does not heatsink) and took the port as fast as possible.

Repair seemed to have gone well. I did not see any solder balls, nor any solder rising on underfilled caps or anything, yet I have no loud speaker.

I think this was common issue back then, I remember way back when I used to be employed by a repair company 5-6 years ago that they had decided to not replace the ports of iPod 4 since they would always get problems with the loud speaker after.

I'm hoping one of you that has been doing board repairs for a while might be have some guidance for me.

Thanks in advance.

I never had a problem with loudspeaker on iPod 4, but I did fix a loudspeaker on an iPod 6 recently. It was a really simple--two wires had to be connected and have continuity. I ended up doing trace repair on a torn speaker flex to solve. For common microphone problems after port jobs the fault seems to be flux in the microphone or microphone damage after ultrasonic---maybe that's what is going on here?

Comment

The speaker on the iPod 4 is has 2 wire that solders to the board. I took it off before doing the port replacement. I'll look at this better today or tomorrow. I though maybe it was a common problem.

Comment

When Iv replaced the q4 ic on the before I'd ended up sometimes having to reball the audio ic too on the other side. The board is that flimsy there isn't a lot of mass so it doesn't take much to shoot a ball without it making it to the outside. I'd just reball the audio ic as whenever Iv had issues it was always that.

Comment

Thanks, that's what I'm going to go for. Not sure which one it is though. Do you know the location of the IC number by chance? If not, I'll look up the IC numbers to see if I can find it. I don't have the schematic for it.

Comment

The audio ic is CS42L59A its on the back of the board furthest to the left on the bottom. Or there is the speaker driver ic, it is on the top of the board, furthest ic to the left next to the speaker solder points, its tpa2015d1 .

Comment

Speaker amp
              零件编号 : TPA2015D1 功能 : 2W Class-D Audio Amplifier With Adaptive Boost and Battery Tracking SpeakerGuard AGC / 16DSBGA Package 制造商 : Texas Instruments 引脚图 :

Comment

• Sly
                Sly commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you crea2k. I really appreciate that.
            Working...
            X