Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: http://forum.mendonipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

No compass or gyro on iPhone 7s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No compass or gyro on iPhone 7s

I’ve got got a pile of I phone 7s on my desk that all needed work around the audio ic and or baseband PMU to get them back up and booted. Now I’m ops checking and I noticed the compass is out on three of them as well as the gyro. The webpages don’t rotate with the phone and the compass app is locked north. So I tried the usual reset and DFU restore. Checked and 1.8V Maggie is there. It appears there are three sensors on the same data lines. Baro, gyro, and compass. So I removed all three leaving only the CPU on the data lines and checked resistance. Got .50 or so in diode mode so data lines connected under cpu(thank god). Replaced all three sensors from a donor. Nothing. So then I thought maybe with a software update of sensors aren’t present it shuts them down l? So DFU restore again. Still not there. Tried another compass off a 6s since I’m low on 7 part boards

running out of ideas. ... anybody got one like to get this solved cause whatever it is it is like the same issue on all three
    Last edited by john; 04-10-2018, 06:24 PM.

Don't quote me on this as I don't have a schemetic handy, but on the iPhone 6 there was also the motion coprocessor chip that I think was like a kind of motion cpu that took all of the data from the sensor chips and processed it before handing it to the cpu. (I think that's how it worked anyway). I'm not sure if the 7 has such a thing, but just throwing ideas about.

Comment

By the look of it the motion compressor is integrated into the cpu now according to Wikipedia.

Comment

Did you ultrasonic these boards? iPhone 6 was very sensitive to “too long” uc and it would take out these same functions.

Comment

Ok finally figured out what was going on with these. When you change the gyro you need to let the board completely cool before adding power or it damages it immediately. I noticed it would almost work for a second before failing again after I replaced it, so I put on a new one and sprayed it with compressed air until it was room temp and bam working. Worked on all the others as well. So I’m guessing these problems come from me working too fast and testing the board with it still hot from changing Tigris or backlight stuff on the other side. Also on all boards it was the gyro ic by the battery connector that was bad, never the compass on the arm. Also when you solder this on, tin all sides of the chip and pads and add some pressure from the top while doing hot air, then clean up all the solder balls that come out. If you just try to float it on some pads won’t connect always.
          Last edited by john; 05-20-2018, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X