Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: http://forum.mendonipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

6 plus no display after meson m1 repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 plus no display after meson m1 repair

hi all, had a 6 plus in today for classic touch disease. Phone all as original never opened before, no signs of water damage or any other major damage like obvious bending, very clean handset.
    removed mason touch ic and found m1 pulled so ran jumper as usual, reballed ic and tested to find no display and no backlight, it boots fine checking through dc power and also connects to iTunes. First thought was to remove meson again to rule that out but no change. First thoughts where possibly u1501 chestnut on opposite side or maybe small component under fpc come loose? Checked these and all caps/filters intact, chestnut also removed and replaced but no change. I did notice that after these it wasn’t quite no display, it would cycle between black screen and a blank screen still without backlight, not sure what this would mean?
    have done some searching and a few people have found shorts from dirt/ strands after repairs which I can’t see on my board.
    not sure what else controls display that is close to touch ic, this isn’t something I have come across before still relatively new to board repairs, probably my 17/18th Touch disease repair and the same procedure as any other one I have done successfully, shielded surrounding components etc to minimise risk of damaging surrounding components
    any suggestions on what to look for next?

If there is no display, I would start with meson again. Do you have a new IC you can put on instead of reballing? Do you clean the pads on the motherboard with solder wick to give the IC a flat even surface to seat down on? Did you mess with / bump cumulus? I have had the same issue before and it is almost always the meson IC not sitting correctly.

Comment

• Jessa_the_Professa
      Jessa_the_Professa commented
      Editing a comment
      meson is not required for image---don't put meson back on until you get image or you will just be adding another variable!

Solve no image first and then work on backlight. Split a screen so that you can shine a light from the back. Do you have an apple logo when you boot the phone, and can you confirm that the phone still boots and is detected by iTunes? Replacing chestnut is unfortunate, because that is now a variable and muddies the picture. The common fault with no image after touch ic is a bridge at meson on one of the image power lines. Next time just remove meson and then see if image comes back with a split screen. 99 times out of 100 it will.

Comment

As I said I removed meson to rule that out but still have no image. No Apple logo as no image AND no backlight like I said before. I did think maybe cumulus but balls look ok from the side and reluctant to remove it unless I’m sure it’s that.
      any other ideas of what to look at as I don’t really want to just start pulling chips off

Comment

And yes phone boots and detected by iTunes as said in main post

Comment

Update for you all and further advice please. Removed and reballed cumulus... this bought back the image!! Although with lines but I believe that’s because meson was still off? Replaced meson and now I have a negative image and no touch.
          Is this likely to be an issue with meson that needs rebelling again? That’s what I’m thinking and any advice would be appreciated, not seen this fault before, suppose most likely cause will Meson or maybe I have nudged cumulus again when replacing meson?

Comment

• Jessa_the_Professa
            Jessa_the_Professa commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't think there is a mechanism for cumulus faults to produce no image, so removing cumulus did something else if image came back. Whenever you have a problem then you toss those chips and use NEW not reballed chips. We recently had three phones that developed no image after going back out--all three of them were purchased reballed mesons (on accident). Solved with new mesons.

"Negative image" I'm not sure what that means, but if you mean inverted colors this is a software setting. Three taps on home button or screen or something is the signal to switch that off.

No touch--replace meson and cumulus with new not reballed. Reballing has its place, but itself is a variable. Did the chip get nicked, scraped, damaged, overheated, rubbed too much? Are the balls 100% even? Any problem during reballing can turn into a variable and we want to eliminate variables so that the board does not become overworked. As soon as you have a problem and are in troubleshooting mode then no more reballing!
        Working...
        X