Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: http://forum.mendonipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

iPhone 7 plus received for a screen replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone 7 plus received for a screen replacement

iPhone 7 plus received for a screen replacement

The screen was shattered so I could not get access to the phone before replacing the screen to test the functions on the phone

Once the new screen was fitted and all parts from its original screen to its replacement it took the phone five minutes to power up staying on the apple logo
    • Once it does power up the Home button and the touch ID do not work (greyed out in settings)
    • The iPhone showed the incorrect date and time

All other functions on the phone worked fine including camera, voice menu etc
    • I corrected the date and time which did not solve any of the two issues
    • The iPhone needed a software update. Thinking it may have needed the software update to solve the issues I updated the software - Did not solve the problems
    • I removed the Proximity Cable but still took the 5 minutes to power up and did nothing to solve the Home Button problem
    Unfortunately, I do not have a good iPhone 7 plus too make sure it is not a parts problem

The iPhone in now in the condition that it takes five minutes to power up and once powered up the Home Button and the Touch ID do not function

Any input where the issue (s) may be ??? and next step(s)

In Jessa training video on iPhone 7 a long boot time of 3 to 5 minutes may point to an Audio IC issue?? Would the Home Button be effected also from an AUDIO IC problem??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wmm_wqQnJc&t=3894s

Maybe the long boot loop is due to it looking for the HOME Button.??? I checked the home button connector a few times and any damage to the cable but noting stood out

Thanks

Jerry
    Last edited by eDigitCom; 07-12-2018, 05:29 PM.

This sounds like you tore the home button flex. A phone takes a long time to boot when it doesn't have the native home button and flex tearing is common. This is not audio ic if there are no audio symptoms. Look under the microscope for a teeeeeeny tiny microscopic tear at the home button flex, or a puncture etc. Or just tell us how did you get the home flex off--did you use a little bit of heat?

Comment

Jessa I examined the Home Button Flex and connector under a micro-scope and there is no damage done to the flex. I attach photos + close up image of the damaged screen

To remove the home button from the front of the screen (side opposite to the flex cable) I used a very small amount of heat until the flex cable just began to lift.slowly removing the flex cable and then outputting the button through its button hole

Real care was done removing it Jessa

You need to get a slight movement before removing them has otherwise you are going to tear the flex

I have also done 3 iPhone 7 and one 7 plus using the exact same procedure and all worked fine after

Here is a video I found on the internet which shows how to remove the Home Button This shows the same procedure I went about removing it He starts to remove the Home Button at 12.38 min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eQiFPzC7Vk

Thanks Jessa

PS The Home button could not be tested before the screen replacement due to the damage done to the screen
      Last edited by eDigitCom; 07-13-2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Jessa_the_Professa
        Jessa_the_Professa commented
        Editing a comment
        You seem to have a significant crease in the home button near the connector--that could potentially be a problem, but we can't say for sure. You could check in diode mode to see if you have any OL. There are a lot of home button measurements in our It Takes Village section. In the future, even with a severely cracked screen you can at least test for long boot up time (and you should!) because you want to show customer if this phone may have an audio ic fault that they are unaware of.
        I would rule out long flex or just bad screen and bad fcam assembly which can all also cause the same thing. Home button software does not seem to be a failure point.

Close up of connector

Comment

I am at present replacing the screen with another just in case the cable on the screen going to the logic board itself is faulty. I do not have an know working iPhone 7 plus screen has have not another iPhone 7 plus working correctly

Comment

Has I been aware how the Home Button and Logic Board communicates is the code build into the Home Button and the Logic board,

If for example the code in the Home Button was corrupt they would not be able to communicate.

Could this code be corrupt by a fall ??

In my view it could

Thanks Jessa
          Last edited by eDigitCom; 07-13-2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Jessa_the_Professa "You seem to have a significant crease in the home button near the connector--that could potentially be a problem"

I see the crease Jessa but this is normal so the cable connector is able to slot into the logic board cable on the screen If you notice from the video this is the case It will not attach if the cable is straight

This is the way it was when removed from the Screen cable when you flip it off it

I not think it is an Audio IC issue myself the only symptom of an Audio IC issue it has is the long boot time. which is it takes exactly 5 min to boot

So on boot up is it possible the CPU is looking for the home button and eventual gives up when it cannot detect it??
            Last edited by eDigitCom; 07-13-2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Jessa_the_Professa

". In the future, even with a severely cracked screen you can at least test for long boot up time (and you should!) because you want to show customer if this phone may have an audio ic fault that they are unaware of"

This is not possible at present I take it Jessa. It would be great has you could then test it before replacing the screen

Are you working on this Jessa?? Or is it the type of graph you get on power up
              Last edited by eDigitCom; 07-13-2018, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Just tried another screen with just the home button attached and it powers up normally with the Home button working but cannot create a new fingerprint Touch ID has it fails to do so

It does not give any error on power up about the touch ID failing but I cannot create a new fingerprint touch ID in settings

Does the finger print created by the customer still work I will have to wait and see

Just to proof it was the screen or something else I remove all the parts from the other screen and just attach the Home Button and see the outcome. The fault was still there causing the Home Button issues

So the screen is the problem

But what is preventing it to create a new fingerprint ID is now the issue remaining??

Would love now to have a know good working iPhone 7 plus this would really tell if again there is a screen issue causing it not to create a fingerprint id
                Last edited by eDigitCom; 07-13-2018, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Error

unable to complete touch id setup please go back and try again

Anyone come across this error when trying to create a new fingerprint touch

I search on the internet it shows it is a fairly common fault

IOS at top rev of 11.4.1

Any solutions or ideas

Is it a hardware or a software problem??

Thanks

Comment

Sometimes a hard reset (not restore or update, just reset) is required to get a phone to recognize fingerprint sensor.

Comment

• eDigitCom
                      eDigitCom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Did a Hard reset Jessa but not solve Thanks for input

Thanks Jessa very much

But have one of these customer that thinks I damaged her phone and has spread the word also to a least one other person that I damaged it without any proof at all

Comment

Are you sure Touch ID was working previously? It will be difficult to troubleshoot because each home button is unique to the device and can’t just be swapped. You would need to have a known good device to confirm that this is the screen the other possibility is software or the crease in the flex.

Comment

• eDigitCom
                        eDigitCom commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have no idea Jessa if the touch was working or not The customer said it was but I had no way of testing it due to the damaged screen To me it is very strange the way it fails

In a 6 or a 6s you would get an error on power up saying the Touch ID cannot be activated.

In this case it gives no error on power up until you go into settings and try and create a fingerprint. It is then you get the error

I agree with you the only way to really troubleshot it at this stage would be to have an know good device working correctly.
                        Swap its screen over to faulty one and change the button on it to its original

The fingerprints created by the user are not grayed out and shown has normal

Maybe in the 7 and 7 plus they do not give an error on power up but when the phone was taking 5 minutes to boot and the Home Button was not working it did give the error Touch ID cannot be activated

The only think I would be thinking it may again be the screen has both screens came from the same supplier

I be interested to know how a faulty screen could effect the touch id in a 7/+ I be thinking with the previous one it had to be the flex cable going to the logic board has the Home Button itself was showing up has faulty and the CPU could not detect it?? plus the 5 min boot
                        Last edited by eDigitCom; 07-16-2018, 04:07 AM.

Jessa now get more weird

I got the customer to try and see if the touch finger print she created worked for her and she had no problem getting access to the phone by her finger??

However trying to create a new touch ID it fails ???

The touch id must be working has the customer can get access to it??

I going to get another screen from another supplier and see if makes a difference??

Thanks Jessa for taking the time to give me advice on this especially since you are off on a vacation

Comment

I know what is going on here. You did a restore with the screen that has a bad home button connect cable. Anytime you do a restore without the home button connected, the fingerprint scanner will fail.
                        Try doing a restore again (use itunes only) with the working screen so the home button in sensed during restore and your fingerprint sensor will be back.

Comment

• Jessa_the_Professa
                          Jessa_the_Professa commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes--did you do a restore? Don't do restore! Never try to solve a hardware problem with a software solution! There is no reason to think that at the same time a phone had a drop and got a crack, then had a technician manipulating flexes and cables inside....that is SIMULTANEOUSLY HAPPENED to start suffering from some kind of software problem. Asking a phone to restore is always dangerous because it will require a broad system check that the phone may not be able to pass, while during normal daily use the owner may not care if there is some problem in some system they don't use. Restore can turn a working phone with a minor problem into a brick, or generate problems like this.

If you did an update/restore with either a non-native home button or with a bad flex in place then that is totally what the problem is.

• eDigitCom
                          eDigitCom commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I did NOT do a restore Jessa Please see my comments about this that IT WAS DELETED???? NOT BY I. Also a comment was made in my comment section that i did not make. See my comments further on regarding both Thanks Jessa
                          Last edited by eDigitCom; 07-17-2018, 01:09 PM.
                      Working...
                      X