Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: http://forum.mendonipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

iPad Air 1 Drains Battery Fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPad Air 1 Drains Battery Fast

Hi Guys I have an iPad Air 1 that came into our general repair for a new battery due to a dead battery the guys changed the battery twice and both batteries only last around 3 hours playing Youtube videos at full volume/brightness and quality (normally 7 ish).
    I figured it's probably a partial short? as it lost 15% while completely off.
    I have done a visual inspection and everything seems normal.
    I have diode tested the lines leading to the battery which also seem fine (No OL, Low or High readings)
    I have also tested line around Nand and Pmic and they all seem relatively normal (nothing stands out)

I do not have a known good board so i don't know for sure tho.

I then went back to the battery lines and followed them along and got a low reading after one of the MOSFETs (0.156) I'm unsure of the line as zxw does not list the name but looks lick VC Main (just a guess).
    I have attached a photo of the line.

Could this be the line causing the issue?
    If so how do I find the culprit I'm guessing faulty Cap? (The same as full short? inject voltage and heat check?)
    If this is not a problem line and reading is normal as I know 0.156 can be a normal reading where do I go from here? is there any known trouble spots I should check.
    Also if I connect this to dc and power off am I rite in thinking if there was a partial short you would see a small constant draw on the amps?

As always thanks in advance
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Shrimply Pibbles; 07-13-2018, 09:54 AM.

You need a known good to be sure, but that sounds like a normal vccmain reading for Air. I would assume you are more likely to have a partial short on a tristar line like 3v3acc or a partial short within the pmic because that has a mechanism for failure due to charger damage

Comment

• Shrimply Pibbles
      Shrimply Pibbles commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jessa_the_professa i checked that line and the rails around it and they all seem normal. I will keep probing and set a "Fuck It" alarm for 2 hours and call it quits after that

• Jessa_the_Professa
      Jessa_the_Professa commented
      Editing a comment
      I would change tristar and if not solved then you have no mechanism for how this device could come to have a hardware defect, so then completely open-ended. Changing tristar is indicated because you do have a mechanism for a common fault that could cause this problem
Working...
X