Announcement

Collapse

ZXW 3.0--Need a Subscription or Help in English?

We have started selling ZXW 3.0 instant online licenses, and I wrote a blog post with clear instructions in English on how to setup and install Zxwtool and Microfish. Here: https://bit.ly/2WRAWwC
See more
See less

iPad Air 2 Screen Orientation upside down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPad Air 2 Screen Orientation upside down

I’ve got an iPad Air 2 here that has the screen orientation stuck upside down. There are no signs of physical or water damage in this device. When first powered on, the orientation is correct for about 1 sec before rotating upside down, so that the top edge of the display is along the edge where the home button is. I checked the obvious things first. I made sure the rotation lock was off, did a software update and even a full restore, but still have the issue. As all features of the iPad other than the screen rotation are working fine, I thought I should check the gyro circuit. With my DMM in diode mode, I checked for any shorts to ground but found none. I thought maybe there was somehow an internal open within the gyro itself, so I replaced it. Still having this issue. What should I check next? My next thought is that maybe the issue is with the M8. How can I tell for sure? And is the M8 even replaceable, or is it paired to the CPU? Am I even close to being on the right track, or have I totally missed something?

I’m still new to logic board repairs, and would not be surprised if I missed a lot of steps in my troubleshooting process. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What’s the history of the device? When was it last working and how did it come to be this way?

Comment

The device has no prior repairs or repair attempts. It was last working perfectly several months ago, but the problem was intermittent until about 2 weeks ago. The customer doesn’t recall anything happening to the device. They said that they started to experience the screen orientation occasionally “acting up” until it got stuck upside down.

Comment

If you are SURE that you want to try to fix this instead of live with it, then step one--rule out a screen problem. Ideally, put the logic board into a known good housing, but at least try a known good screen. Things like hall effect sensor on iPad screens can cause weird issues. However, removing an iPad Air 2 screen is pretty risky over kind of a minor nuisance defect---if you break the screen it will cost more than the device.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the advice. I tried it with a known good screen, but that didn’t solve the issue. I will put the logic board in a known good housing when I have a chance and see how that goes.

Comment

Working...
          X