Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: http://forum.mendonipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

Is torn battery flex repairable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is torn battery flex repairable?

I was using this as a test battery for quite a while until I recently noticed phone boards, in addition to adhoc reboots were reading the charge at either 1% of %100, and nothing else. I looked at the battery flex under the microscope - after taping the flex to the side of the battery to prevent problems at the flex base over time it had developed a tear near the connector. I'm sure the battery itself is fine. Have you ever repaired this sort of issue? Replaced the flex? Or is it a throw our job?
    Attached Files

I haven't, just because I am surrounded by new batteries and countless "works okay but not great" tester batteries so there is no motivation to save an old 5s battery. However, there's no reason you couldn't put a jumper on the gas gauge if you wanted to continue using the battery for testing.

Comment

figured i'd chime in here as well - if you have a scrap battery - bulged or dead cell whatever there is nothing to stop you desoldering the whole flex/board assembly off the battery cell itself and replacing it entirely on your battery with the good cell. I've done this a few times on some batteries i've had which ended up getting the flex damaged in some way - just make sure you reset the new board/flex cable to 100% health with a battery tester so that it can recalibrate itself to the new cell. It's also the only way I know of at present to replace an iPhone XS or newer battery without getting the "your battery is not genuine" message.

Comment

Thanks for those responses. Yes crc2018, thanks to Apple's new serial ID matching strategy to ensure screens and batteries are no longer readily replacable your 'counter' strategy is a highly practical one. No doubt this is also an added incentive to refurbish iphone 11 screens with broken touch glass rather than throw out and replace the whole assembly.

Comment

Working...
        X