Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: https://forum.ipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

iPad woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPad woes

Hey! working on my first ever repair, I changed the charge port on an iPad mini 4 wifi. It went well and everything was working, however as I was testing it I realized the back camera doesn't show anything, front camera works. I first tried a new camera which didn't work, I then took it back apart to see if i cause any damage and couldn't find anything until I looked near the screen connectors, where I found a loose capacitor(i think) . I attached a photo and put a yellow square around it. I went to heat it up and re melt it in place but it wouldn't melt! I added flex and tried to melt some solder to the pins, but then I added too big of a blob so I tried to wick it away and in the process lose the component! I have a bunch of iphone 6 6s 6sp boards lying around can I harvest from those? I just don't know which pins and components are compatible. I'm wondering if this component is the reason the camera doesn't work, and how to best fix it. thanks!

anybody know?

Comment

• Jessa_the_Professa
      Jessa_the_Professa commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think that component has anything to do with camera not working on ipad mini 4. Show us the rear camera connector area.

As far as this missing component, practice on a donor board to understand how to apply enough heat to the board. If you can't melt solder easily, you are using the wrong tool wrong settings. This is a basic skill, but it is difficult to learn on your own because it is hard to develop an appreciation for the power of the ground plane to remove heat from your system, and how to overcome that. You don't want to learn it on a board you're trying to fix. Practice on other boards until you know how to use your tools.

Next--we need to learn whether or not a particular component needs to be replaced. What is this component, what does it do?
      Start by using your multimeter to see if one side is ground and the other--not ground. If so, it's a capacitor and we should not worry about replacing it.

You're right, I did run before I could walk a bit! The idea of micro soldering gets me excited, but it was a mistake to think I could just do it right away. I thought because I was pretty good at fixing phones this would be cake to learn, at least my head isn't so big now 😝 I have an ebay soldering/hot air station, (it's all I could afford at the moment) it definitely gets hot enough to remove the components at least. On this specific spot I just cant get the solder to flow there and stay easily, and when I do the component wont attach. Either way now I've lost the component! Do you know where I can buy these little parts? I guess I should figure out if it's a capacitor or not and steal it from a donor board. My multimeter isn't working right so I'll update this with the readings once the new one arrives. Here are pics of the camera section of the board in my google drive. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...00?usp=sharing

Comment

• Jessa_the_Professa
      Jessa_the_Professa commented
      Editing a comment
      We need a crisp, clear picture taken under a microscope. This could very well be a missing data choke---one of your data chokes (the square dude that sits on four pads) looks different than the others, but the pictures are too far away and to low resolution to tell. What does it look like under the microscope?
Working...
X