Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: https://forum.ipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

Troubleshooting a Samsung S5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting a Samsung S5

Samsung S5 G900I was a working board!
    (A) DCPS 3.8v applied reverse polarity at the battery terminals
    1. Now permanent 80mA current draw before PTB.
    2. PTB stays at 80mA.
    3. Seated resistance on V_BAT same as known good ok & measuring components downstream from the battery terminals into Max's "charging IC" - normal battery voltages present.
    4. Voltage on the main power rail(VPH_PWR) is 1v with current draw 200mA after injecting 3.8v directly into the main power rail @2Amps max. Seated resistance (diode mode) 0.056 - known good is 0.355.
    5. Probing around the max's charging IC VREG_S4_1P8 (goes to Max's charging IC but also everywhere on the board) Before PTB - voltage on known good 0v, voltage drop on bad 0.479v. Seated resistance is identical to known good.

Desoldered U7000 (Max's "charging IC" - but seems to do other stuff as well!)
    1a. 70mA before PTB gone now 20mA
    3a. Seated resistance on V_BAT unchanged remains identical to known good
    4a.
    VPH_PWR behaviour unchanged (still as point 4)
    5a. VREG_S4_1P8 nowbasically the same as known good - 0v drop though seated resistance up to 0.6 from .04- 0.5

My thoughts…….
    Ok I still have a problem so…. "charging IC" stays off for now. *To me 0.056 seated resistance is a PARTIAL short on the VPH_PWR main power rail and 200mA current draw is not enough to use heat as a troubleshooting tool. Nothing on the board is standing out for a visual clue. I can't see any separate "mosfet" - so I'm pretty sure/convinced that U7000 is(in this case was) responsible for creating VPH_PWR(the main power rail from VBAT). Applying power at reverse polarity definitely killed U7000 but has also caused other problems downstream. From VPH_PWR? Stabbing in the dark I think I need to be troubleshooting a FULL short downstream from VPH_PWR. What do you think?

Vph_pwr is the same as vccmain. Find out what is pulling it down to 1v with a thermal cam. You can find shorts that consume only 0.020A with a thermal cam.

Comment

I don't have a thermal Cam. I was thinking to take seated resistance measurements off downstream power rails from VPH_PWR and compare them to known good in the hope of finding a fully shorted line. But this may not be valid ... one of my learning objectives is to understand power rail sequences and the practicalities of troubleshooting them

Comment

• Jessa_the_Professa
        Jessa_the_Professa commented
        Editing a comment
        You already know that you have a short on vph_pwr. Find out why.

Hello Jessa
      Are you planning to get any more seek compact pros and macro lenses into the ipad rehab supply store?

Comment

That's great. What about the Seek CompactPro? That's currently showing "sold out".

Comment

Working...
      X