Announcement

Collapse

ZXW 3.0--Need a Subscription or Help in English?

We have started selling ZXW 3.0 instant online licenses, and I wrote a blog post with clear instructions in English on how to setup and install Zxwtool and Microfish. Here: https://bit.ly/2WRAWwC
See more
See less

X and Xsmax board separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X and Xsmax board separation

Hi, I just received my first x and xs max for water damage data recovery, so far I never had to separate the sandwich but I guess it's time. Rules to follow, advices and tools? So far I only have the stencil to reball the board, can I simply use my quick and the preheater table thing I use to do iphone 7 audio ics? Thank you

Splitting them is really easy. I use the x or xs block on the sunshine preheater, set it to 200C, and then just lift the top board off quickly with my fingers. https://store.ipadrehab.com/Sunshine...cks-p140956168

Comment

That sounds rather convenient, what about merging them back togheter?

Comment

Also, I already own the big red thingie for the 7 and 7p and I love it, I see you sell a big red for the x too, does it have any drawbacks compared to the sunshine? Beside height, I use a veeeery tall Barlow since I repair lot of Siemens industrial boards which are THICK and tall

Comment

• Jessa_the_Professa
          Jessa_the_Professa commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the big red one as well. The clips are way better than the sunshine. The drawback is just the long term extensibility to future models.
          I'll bring one home and do a couple of xs/xsmax jobs with it. The sunshine has different blocks for x, xs, and xsmax which is annoying. I want to make sure the XL can do both x, xs, and xsmax before I just assume it can.

To solder them back togheter, do I just reball one board with the stencil just like an ic and then use the block to heat them back togheter or do I need a special solder paste?

Comment

You can sometimes just put them back together without reballing at all--just add flux and put on heater. If reball is necessary, then reball just the bottom board with 138C paste and then add top board and preheater will marry them

Comment

Excellent, thank you. For bottom board you mean the Rf or the cpu one?

Comment

• Jessa_the_Professa
              Editing a comment
              Bottom board is the RF board

• Jessa_the_Professa
              Editing a comment
              To be clear--there's a sandwich. Bottom board--interposer--top board. When we split boards, we split at the interposer----top board connection, leaving the interposer with the bottom RF board. The solder holding interposer to bottom board is 217C lead free. The solder holding top board to interposer is something must less--maybe the same 138 we use to reball. This is why the split is so easy.

Oh now it is crystal clear. Thank you jessa

Comment

Working...
            X