Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: http://forum.mendonipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

Trace Rebuilding (Cell Phones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trace Rebuilding (Cell Phones)

Everyone I am trying to get all my tools together for Microsoldering. I am curious what is the to go to for trace rebuilds? Like what AWG wire do you normally use?

I use 0.02 mm on a reel, you can use vibrator motor or speaker coil wire too but I can't be arsed to unwind it, so just buy a reel that lasts until the end of time. Look
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282...824959519.html

iv also got various other thicknesses too depending on what it doing.

Comment

Or this :
      https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...841914157.html

The one I use is called fx-8 , I'm not sure what the fx number is tbh as there are several but appear to be the same thing.

Comment

It depends on the trace, but 44-45 AWG is a good start

Comment

For audio ic tracess I just use some off my braided wire. It works excellent. For running jumper wires across the board, I use some motor coil wire I bought in China years ago

Comment

In iphone 7+ there is a long castle wall of narrow PCB with most thinnest ever layer copper shielding on top along one edge of the PCB, made mistake with it so twisted up bunch of enameled jumper wire 4x and pre-tinned both and lay on this to jumper over that break. Was trying to fix a short (ceramic capacitor cracked and shorted) on PP_VCC_MAIN.

Comment

Second post: Manipulating the wire and get that end soldered down properly is tricky. Is there any trick to do it more easier? I have watchmaker tweezers taken from my home at work right now and bringing in more tools as well since shop does not have all the right tools I need except for their basic tools: hot air, solder irons and hot tweezer fluxes etc.

Even one tip of a small hakko hot tweezer is too thick still. I was trying to install wires to fix iphone 7 audio problem. And ended up losing another pad as it seems to have fractured previously as just about to finally get ready to install audio IC. Really want to finish it tomorrow.

What's best tips to use for this particular job especially attaching wire to components?

Cheers,
          TVtechcellphone
          Friendly Contributor
          Last edited by TVtechcellphone; 07-04-2018, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Whew, I got the wires down much easier, less time and learned what won't work and what other ways works best: Unfortunately the iphone 7 with audio problem turned out to be un-repairable. That was from last 2 tech trying to fix that thing. Both botched up.

Straight tweezers, taped down wire and wooden kabob sticks sharpened to a point (I have done that for cleaning out tiny .01mm bearing bores in watch with toothpicks sharpened carefully all the time.) And your video I viewed last night about tacking down wires helped so much.

You are not kidding on carefully pick up bit of solder on the soldering tip, I'm curious how do you control how much solder to use to tack down wires nicely and create strong soldered joints?

The wire we have at work is 0.1mm enameled wire. Is this too thick?

I know some people suggested squishing the end of wire more thinner where BGA solder balls goes. But how one do that?

Cheers,

Comment

For trace repair I use one side of the mini hot tweezers, but you could also use a micropencil Hakko FM 2032 with 0.1mm tip. I use 44 AWG wire for microjumpers, I don't know what gauge your 0.1 mm wire is but it sounds too big. You could use a piece of the wire from the vibrator motor coil in an older iPhone.

Comment

I know AWG too so looked up wire chart conversion, yours is exactly half that than ours, 0.05mm. Thanks, Jessa, That explains the problem with IC not sitting right using .1mm enameled wire (burnt off the insulation first).

Enameled wire too or not?

PS: AWG is 38 for 0.1mm. Too thick for sure but useful for fixing traces but not for wiring onto BGA as part of pad repairs.

Honestly apple is using too thin trace (thickness, not the width) since flexing PCB causes traces to be destroyed easily and risk of destroying more with microsoldering. Will not notice if apple double up on that traces thickess and only add few .1mm more thicker to PCB, not a problem. Hello Apple are you listening?

Cheers,

Comment

To my surprise, employer wanted to know if I need another soldering tools, so I'm compiling a list of items to order.

What kind of x-acto knifes types you have that are your favorites?

What models of older iphones or other cellphones that yield these copper wire of suitable size?

Cheers,
                  TVtechcellphone
                  Friendly Contributor
                  Last edited by TVtechcellphone; 07-06-2018, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jessa! Got the micropencil Hakko FM 2032 with few tips. I do not LIKE bent tips at all, hard to judge too as I have one eye. Imagine trying to wet one end of SMD device with solder using round edge of a smallest end of tip? There is space between round cylinder against 90 degree inside corner, solder either will not wet that or too much solder. Paste that corner with solder paste and use knife edge tip will get more closer to that and wet better.

I used micropencil soldering iron with knife edge to finish the Samsung A3 2017 charging port to rebuild broken pads with wires and paste solder lead 60/40 instead of solder wire.

Dab on the spot to solder with paste and touch it with knife edge tip. Need more, add bit more. Easier control of solder.

A tip for anyone with distance problem or hunting for the "zen" field of view with tools under microscope, I outlined a black circle around that field with black marker on the silicone mat while looking through the microscope, Just place anything inside that black of circle and pesto can see, no hunting and saves time.

Cheers,
                    TVtechcellphone
                    Friendly Contributor
                    Last edited by TVtechcellphone; 07-13-2018, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X