Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: http://forum.mendonipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

The Tragedy of Chestnut and the Qian Li 3D stencil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tragedy of Chestnut and the Qian Li 3D stencil

This was my first attempt to reball a small IC with Qian Li 3D. (I have previously used QianLi for larger ICs no problems!) I tried this with 2 different Qian Li 3D stencils - destroying two Chestnuts - same result.
    I struggled repeatedly to get Chestnut to align in the 3D holder. But Chestnut would neither sit flat, nor align. - With repeated attempts the placeholder eventually took a chunk out of Chestnut..
    Reballing…..
    Chestnut would not sit flat in the 3D placeholder and solder collected under the stencil between the balls.
    I cried and tried again. This time no solder under the stencil but the balls were grossly uneven . But Chestnut was already dead by 3D mutilation anyway. RIP Little Chestnut!

My third Chestnut. Using a cheap solder stencil securing another Chestnut on the back with Kapton tape. Chestnut easily aligned and secured. Same solder paste, same hot air and time. Result perfect reball. I repeated with another Chestnut. Same result - perfect reball. Success!

I 'm pretty convinced that Qian Li in this instance was the problem. I'm not exactly sure why - maybe it’s the way the 3D is moulded and completely surrounds the IC. And others may claim not to have had this problem? I am interested to know what your experience is of reballing smaller ICs like Chestnut with Qian Li 3D stencils.
    Attached Files
Working...
X